In 1956, the ICHS was converted into the Lanao Technical School (LTS) under the Bureau of Vocational Education (BEV). In 1965, RA 4626 converted LTS into the Northern Mindanao Institute of Technology (NMIT). However, this law was not implemented. On July 12, 1968, RA 5363 integrated LTS into the MSU System.
During the 62nd Meeting of the MSU Board of Regents on March 12, 1975, the first comprehensive reorganizational plan of the Institute was approved under BOR Resolution No. 894, Series of 1975. This plan made the Institute the first autonomous unit of the MSU System.
In the years that followed, MSU-IIT continually expanded and developed its academic programs. While doing so, it also enhanced research, infrastructure, and cultural activities.