CASS has been proud of the following accomplishments:
- Center of Development in Filipino (since 2013)
- Center of Development in History
- Center of Development in Sociology
- AACCUP Level IV Accredited
- a total of five (5) faculty members are grantees of the MSU-IIT Faculty Development Program (FDP) scholarship for their masters and phd programs; around eleven (11) are currently pursuing graduate studies on their own;
- 197 faculty members have undergone professional/in-service trainings in 34 In-House Trainings and attended seminars and conferences in local, regional and international settings;
- 33 faculty members have undergone research individually and collaboratively and nine (9) have on-going research projects. Research projects are funded by the following: CHED-FAPE, MSU-IIT OVCRE, and City Government of Iligan.
- Over 158 papers were presented by faculty members who also served as resource persons in seminars/conferences in local, regional, national and international settings; 5 faculty members read and presented their papers in international conferences in Vietnam, Malaysia, Sweden, Japan and Istanbul, Turkey.
- Over 15 sponsored local and In-House seminars/trainings organized or co-sponsored by the six departments with two (2) very recent national seminars- Pambansang Seminar-Worksyap sa Filipino: “ Napapanahong Paglantaw sa Wika at Panitikan at and 2009 Gaby sa Ortograpiya” and “Historical Notes about the Ancestral Domain Claim in Lanao Del Norte and Iligan City”
- 7 faculty members received awards and distinctions for their research projects in the MSU-IIT In-House Review on R& D. These include Dr. Darwisa A. Baguio, Dr. Rosario B. Dizon, Dr. Lorna Flores, Dr. Cora Lim, Prof Odessa Escalona, Dr, Nimfa Bracamonte, and Dr. Sulpecia Ponce. Best Paper (professional category) went to Dr. Darwisa A. Baguio, Dr. Rosario B. Dizon and Dr. Lorna Flores for their research entitled: “Tri-lingual Dictionary of the Bukidnon Higaonons (completed June 2010)
Meanwhile 2 faculty members were awarded for their accomplishments. Steven Patrick C. Fernandez, DFA has been awarded by the Board of Trustees of Xavier University with the Dr. Francisco Demetrio, S.J. “for his significant strides in enriching Philippine Culture and the Arts” and the “Notable Global Pinoy” by SM Supermalls; Anthony L. Tan, PhD was also a recipient of Special Award Incentive for international paper presentation during the 2010 Philippine PEN conference in December 2010.
- Eleven (11) consultancy services in some academic institutions and organizations were recorded in CASS. These include St. Peter’s College with Dr. Rhodora S.N. Englis as accreditation consultant; government and non-government organizations such as EIA Pulangi V Hydropower Development Project, Bukidnon with Dr. Nimfa Bracamonte and Prof. Amabelle Arquisal-Emburnas; Save Iligan Rivers Movement, Inc. with Dr. Bracamonte as consultant; Peace and Development Initiatives of the Ecosystems Work for Essential Benefits, Inc, (ECOWEB) with Dr. Luz Sevidal Castro as consultant; Forum on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) Monitoring and Reporting with Dr. David N. Almarez as consultant; National Commission for Culture and the Arts with Dr. Steven Patrick C. Fernandez as consultant, Iligan National Writers Workshop with Dr. Christine G. Ortega, St. Peter’s College on their 2 newsletter publications with Prof. Venus Parmisana as consultant; the International Peace and Development in Mindanao with Dr. Marilou S.N. Nanaman and Prof. Saturnina Rodil as consultant; the Local Government Unit of Iligan and NGO’s with Prof. Saturnina Rodil as consultant.
- 21 Professional Organizations where faculty members are affiliated with and have strong linkages with the following: Komisyon ng Wikang Filipino (KWF), Commission on Higher Education (CHED), Department of Education (DepEd), Linguistic Society of the Philippines, Reading Association of the Philippines, TESOL, Psychological Association of the Philippines
In particular, the following departments have established strong ties between the following institutions and organizations: Dept of History– (1) University of Hawaii and Manoa for Online Teaching, (2)Kalumbay, an NGO; Dept of Psychology– (1) Gawad Kalinga at Canaway, Brgy Tibanga, Iligan City, (2) McAuley Center for Women and Children at Bacayo Mercy, Brgy Tubod, Iligan City and (3) TESDA, Iligan City; Dept of Political Science – (1) International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) for the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) curriculum; Dept of Sociology- The Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics of the Australian National University in Acton, Australia; Dept of English – USAID’s Growth for Equity in Mindanao (GEM), National Commission for Culture and Arts, Philippines (NCCA), Commission on Information and Communications Technology (CICT) Philippine Association for Language Teachers (PALT), Linguistic Society of the Philippines (LSP), Asia TEFL, British Council and Reading Association of the Philippines; and Dept of Filipino– Komisyon ng Wikang Filipino and CHED.
- Two (2) faculty members have attended short courses abroad. These are Dr. Hilton J. Aguja, “Advanced Course in International Humanitarian Law at Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights in Switzerland; and Prof. Darwin J. Manubag, “ASEAN Young Leaders Training Program in Beijing, China and “International Deans Course in Vietnam, sponsored by DAAD. Locally, Prof. Venus R. Parmisana attended a short course on Online Writing with technical skills on OpenSource Software, sponsored by the Commission on Information and Communications Technology (CICT).
- 7 Faculty members are AACCUP accreditors who have rendered services during the recent Internal/Mock Accreditation for CASS and CED. They likewise extended accreditation consultancy in various state universities and colleges.
- All departments are actively involved in extension and community activities, all with signed MOA. Recently, extension projects are as follows: All departments: Task Force 47-74+1 & MSU-IIT, CASS KokoCrunch Feeding Program; – Adoption of Echavez Elementary School at Barinaut, lligan City (Dept of English); Date With Nature, Voter’s Education, Sagip-Aral sa mga Batang Bayani sa Brgy Santiago, Costal Clean Up (Dept of Political Science); Rag-Making Project at Puroks 3 & 8, Bayug Island, Hinaplanon; “Pamilya Magtinabangay: Silhig, lapis ug Papel, para Malipayon ug Malampuson si Undo ug si Inday”, “Hope for the Angels”, “Tabang Pangimpleyo”, “Kaugaligon Ila-Ilahon para sa Trabaho Magmalampuson” (Dept of Psychology); Conduct of Seminars and Feeding Program at Brgy. San Miguel (Dept of History)
- On student achievements, all departments have student organizations which provide avenue for projects, self-expression and enhancement of personality to students of CASS. Recognized organizations in CASS aside from the Executive Council of KASAMA, are the Rotaract (extension club of the Rotary International for the youth) and the Circle K (extension of Kiwanis International). The MSU-IIT Debate Varsity( with coaches, Prof. Darwin J. Manubag and Prof. Phyllis Marie Teanco) has carved a name in national and regional debate competitions. In the 2009 “Frankahan: The Drilon Debates at the ANC TV Station, MIDV won against UP-Diliman and in the Annual Visayas-Mindanao Debate Championship held last July 23-26 at Silliman University, Dumaguete City, MIDV emerged as champion again. Many scholars from IPAG, Octava Choral Society and Kalimulan Dance Troupe are students from CASS. CASS alumni have been marking their own contributions worldwide as call center agents, office administrators or clerks, teachers, government employees, NGO staff, community organizers, guidance counselors, secretaries, artists and the like.With all the developments and still more to come, the College of Arts and Socials Sciences, its academic programs, faculty and students are indisputably indispensable and therefore aid in charting future directions of MSU-IIT.