by Amado C. Guinto, Jr.
Seven alumni of the MSU-IIT received awards on July 11, 2009 during the Institute’s 41st Charter Day Celebration. The awards as Outstanding MSU-IIT Alumni (TOMA) were presented by the Association of the Iligan Institute of Technology Alumni Foundation, Inc (AITAFI) for their professional excellence, exemplary contribution to their respective fields in the local, national, or international community and their remarkable and selfless services to the humanity. In a night of songs and dances, titled 7.11.09 3rd Grand Alumni Homecoming and directed by Amado C. Guinto, Jr. at the Institute Gym, the following outstanding alumni received plaques and trophies:
1. Consorcio S. Namoco Jr.. earned his BS Metallurgical Engineering Degree, cum laude in 1996. He placed 8th in the Metallurgical Engineering Licensure Examination in the same year. Being a Professor in the Mindanao University of Science and Technology (MUST), he is likewise active in teaching and in research. He is also an active member of different local and international professional organizations in his field of expertise. He has been constantly invited to talk about his research locally and in various countries including the USA, Great Britain, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Australia, China and Spain. In 2001 and in 2008, Namoco was best research awardee of the Northern Mindanao Consortium for Agriculture Resources Research and Development. His scientific researches are also published in reputable international journals. Among his latest publication is the “Enhancement of Formability of Sheet Metals by Embossing and Restoration Technique” published in J. Mater. Process. Tech. Vol. 192-193, 2007, 18-26.
2. Lope L. Bato Jr.. earned his BSBA in Accountancy in 1986. He is a regional expert in accounting systems, financial auditing and preparation of financial feasibility studies. He also developed a micro-finance practice that is responsible for providing leadership direction and control for all aspects of a bank’s activities to ensure optimum profits. He has also received various awards from different civic and professional organizations either as most outstanding member or officer. He was appointed as Chief-Executive-Officer (CEO) of different rural bank conglomerates in Northern Mindanao. One of his notable achievements is his appointment as Senior Staff Auditor of the prestigious accounting firm, Sycip, Gorres and Velayo (SGV) from 1988 – 1992.
3. Arnold C. Alguno who earned his MS Physics in 2002. He has published scientific researches in reputable international journals. He has also been invited to talk on Semiconductor and Solar Cell Technology locally and in various countries including the USA, South Korea, Japan, China, France and Mexico. Being a member of the elite organization of international scientists such as the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) paved the way for his having received the Research Grant for Excellence from Marubun Research Promotion Foundation in 2005. He is also a Best Research Awardee of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) in 2001. An active member of different professional organizations in his field of expertise both here and abroad, Alguno was cited in Maquis Who’s Who in the World for his outstanding research achievements in nanoscale solar cells in 2005.
4. Amelia T. Buan finished her BSEd in Mathematics in 1992 and her MSEd in Mathematics in 1997. She is a resource person, presenter, facilitator and trainer of e-learning both in the local and international arena. She is an author and co-author of five books in e-learning, some of which are sponsored by the Department of Science and Technology and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). She also bagged the best research paper award in her field of specialization. Most importantly, she was granted the rank of Master Trainer for the Intel Teach Training Program by the Department of Science and Technology – Rescue Initiatives for Science Education (DOST-RISE) and Foundation of Science and Technology Education.
5. Jose Manuel S. Mamauag graduated with an AB Political Science in 1983. He is a local television talk show host, a lawyer and a law instructor, a human rights advocate, and at present, a Commissioner of the Commission of Human Rights (CHR). He was recognized by Commission on Election (COMELEC) en banc for his exemplary performance as National Movement for Free Election (NAMFREL) Legal Counsel during the 1992 General Elections and 1995 Local Elections. He received various recognitions from CHR, AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines), PNP (Philippine National Police), UNICEF (United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund), ICRC (International Red Cross Committee) and the Australian Government among others for his advocacy in peace, development and unity.
6. Wishnie S. Torres finished her AB English in 1985. She is working in an agency for creative accounts and production that brings a creative idea to life on film, both locally and internationally (in Hong Kong, Thailand and Australia). She has worked with stars like Carmina Villaroel, Dingdong Dantes, Piolo Pascual and Aga Mulach among others. In line with her work, she has produced ads for Ponds, Dove, Max Restaurant, Canon, Oral B, Motorolla, Asia Brewery, Nestle, Kodak and others. Many of these ads have won national recognitions, notably from Araw Awards, an esteemed award giving body for advertising. She is currently the Production Head for TV and Radio Advertisement of Ogilvy and Mather Advertising Agency which has only been dominated by the alumni from De La Salle University, Ateneo de Manila University and University of the Philippines.
7. Vincent O. Fernandez finished Mechanical Engineering Technology in 1994. He has made significant contributions in the manufacturing of world-class electronic precision watches, having been employed for fourteen (14) years by TIMEX, a company world-renowned for its quality watches. He is in-charge of the quality assurance of Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) in watches. He rose from the ranks as a Tool Setter to a Mechanical Technician before he became the Process Engineer at TIMEX. He is a Quality Practitioner Awardee and a two-time Model Employee Awardee of Timex. Because of these, he was given a foreign assignment to China (Xinnanwie Watch) for automatic crystal machines and laser cutting machine installation and debugging. His most noteworthy award as Outstanding Worker of the Republic of the Philippines 2009 was given by the MetroBank Foundation and the Rotary Club of Manila.
Plaques of Merit were also given to JULIUS S. HAGANAS for Cooperative Development, MUSSOLINI S. LIDASAN for Peace and Development and to ROMERO C. HERMOSILLA for Public Administration.
This year, the AIITAFI also gave awards to entrepreneurs for their successful businesses. The three entrepreneur-awardees were JUENA P. LOREN, LADISLAO C. TABANAO JR. and SAMUEL B. MARZO.