by Venus Parmisana
The Association of Iligan Institute of Technology Alumni Foundation, Inc. (AIITAFI) recognized three of its distinguished members through The Outstanding MSU-IIT Alumni (TOMA) Award. Seven other members were also recognized for the Merit and Entrepreneur Awards in ceremonies held last July 10, 2010 at the Institute gymnasium.
The ceremonies were held with the 42nd Charter celebrations of the MSU-IIT.
The awards acknowledge the alumni whose professional excellence and exemplary contributions to the local, national, and global arena have greatly contributed to the Institute’s reputation as a world-renowned educational center.
The TOMA Awardees are:
- Engr. Allison A. Alfeche, President of the AIITAFI, Laguna chapter, and supporter of the Kiwanis children’s program;
- Dr. Mark Anthony Torres, Professor in Biology of the MSU-IIT College of Science and Mathematics, who presented papers abroad on evolutionary Biology and published in an ISI-accredited journal; and,
- Wilson M. Calderon, President of the IIT Alumni Foundation, Cebu chapter, Vice President for Corporate Banking of the Rizal Commercial Bank Corp., and former Branch Manager of various RCBC branches in Cebu City;
The Merit Awardees are:
- Atty. Laurentino Badelles (Business), Manager of Renz Grill in Iligan City and a member of the Rotary Club, District 3870;
- Ernesto E. Empig (Information Technology), Dean of the MSU-IIT School of Computer Studies, who designed the “ladderized” curricula of the Bachelor of Science in Electronics & Computer Technology (BSECT) and the two-year Diploma in Electronics Technology programs now implemented in the Institute. He is also a national trainer for the Ischools Projects under the Commission on Information Communication Technology (CICT);
- Christopher Gomez (Visual Arts), “Best Furniture Complement” Awardee of the Cebu International Furniture and Furnishing Exhibition and finalist in the China-Asean Youth Artwork Creativity Contest in 2008;
- Reggie Punongbayan, event organizer of St. Peter’s College, Iligan City, and boutique owner who organized summer training-workshops for children;
The Entrepreneurs of the Year Awardees are:
- Rommel Albores, General Manager of AV Chem Resource Corporation, owner of Aqua Villa Water Resources, and managing partner and owner of Krypton Industrial Resources Corporation;
- Dorotheo O. Lacbain, proprietor of Eastern Terra, manager of the Alumni Souvenir Shop, President of the Mindanao Association for Quality, Inc., and the National President of the Philippine Association of Civil Registrars (PACR); and,
- Emma B. Antipuesto-Mutia, owner of ES Agricultural Supply in Dipolog City and former manager of the Farmers Kingdom Agricultural Supply.
The AIITAFI, through its President and Search Committee Chair Darwin Manubag, presented the awardees with plaques of recognition. The committee was composed of members of the AIITAFI Board of Directors Dr. Delilah Soliva, Julius Torralba, and Carmelito Apao.
Iligan City Vice Mayor Henry Dy, who also gave the inspirational message during the program, presented the awards.
The homecoming program emceed by Ms. Fatimah Joy Almarez and capped by dinner and entertainment was hosted by the College of Arts and Social Sciences led by Dean Nora A. Clar and the homecoming convenor, Ace Busico.